Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dieting Goals


In the prior post, I discussed how I came up with the Fast to Last diet. In this post, I will discuss some of my dieting goals.

For the past 20 years or so, I felt that my weight has gradually increased to the point where I now weigh approximately 210 pounds. I am 5'9" and feel that this is probably too much weight to be carrying around. I feel a realistic goal is to lose 30 pounds and get to 180. I would like to do this in a very gradual fashion. So I would say a primary reason for my interest in diet is losing weight.

A secondary, although perhaps more important goal, is feeling better. Over the past several years I often eat or drink too much and generally just feel unhealthy. As I mentioned in the previous post, I miss the lean and mean days when I was a wrestler.

A third goal is living a long and healthy life. This is a long term goal that most people wish for, but in terms of diet, is often sacrificed in order to meet the primary goal of losing weight. I will try to show in future posts that this is one of the primary benefits of intermittent fasting (IF).

A fourth goal is avoiding disease. I think, like everyone, I dread the idea of going to the doctor and being diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes, or cancer.

In a future post, I will come back to these four goals and show why IF generally addresses the longer term, rather than shorter term, goals. It is for this reason, it has remained somewhat of a fringe dieting strategy, but, in the long run, has much greater benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment