Friday, September 4, 2009

Intermittent Fasting vs. Caloric Restriction


Since at least the early 1940s, Caloric Restriction (CR) and Intermittent Fasting (IF) have both been known to extend the life of laboratory animals. In CR, lab animals are provided a reduced calorie diet; in IF, animals are subjected to significant fasting periods between meals. Oddly, however, based on virtually all of the people that I have talked to, CR remains the better known of the two dieting strategies. Why?

I would argue that IF is actually superior to CR if the goal is to extend life and prevent disease. In fact, I would argue that CR extends life only insofar as it approximates the fasting state found in its purest form in IF. Recent studies on worms show the much better results of IF vs. CR in extending life: up to 56.6% life extension for worms on IF vs. 13.2% life extension for worms on CR!

Moreover, one of the great advantages of IF over CR is that IF is a much easier lifestyle. Rats on CR live a long but uncomfortable life, rats on IF live a long and more pleasant life. As I will show in later posts, the Fast to Last diet is, after the initial adjustment period, a very natural and agreeable way to live and eat.

To answer my initial question: I believe CR is more widely known because weight loss generally occurs more quickly. Less calories in, and your weight will decline. I would like to emphasize right here, however, the primary goal of the Fast to Last diet is not rapid weight loss -- but a long, healthy, disease-free life.

2 comments:

  1. My experience is that people often ingest food to satisfy hunger (whatever that is). I'm not sure that it comes from a true need for nutrition. For me, it often seems to come from a need to allay anxiety or cope with stress. Something about the process of eating or having a full stomach is calming and soothing.
    During these long periods of gastronomical rest in the FEAST-4, won't we be "hungry"? If we get hungry, what do we do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I will address this issue in my next post!

    ReplyDelete